Why Texas Tech?
You’ll discover your passion and realize your potential, like Jaclyn Cañas, BS/Zoology, 2001, PhD/Environmental Toxicology, 2005. Jaclyn always knew she would become a doctor, but her journey wasn’t quite what she expected. Instead of medical school, Jaclyn chose a PhD program after encouragement from a faculty mentor led her to discover a special talent for research. She even took her research abroad, studying reptiles in Belize.
“My undergraduate mentor, Dr. Todd Anderson, definitely influenced my career decision. His confidence in me and encouragement really shaped me into the scientist and teacher that I am today.”EJaclyn Cañas, BA ‘01, PhD ‘05
- Texas Tech receives one of the largest grants in the nation from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute, which is used for undergraduate research in biological sciences.
- Hands-on experience is accessible in courses, internships, jobs and volunteer positions at our Health Sciences Center, also located in Lubbock. www.ttuhsc.edu
- Field and laboratory courses test your classroom knowledge in real-life settings.
- Texas Tech’s location is just a short drive from canyons that expose unique geological sequences.
- Springtime in Lubbock presents perfect conditions for observing thunderstorms and other active weather events.
- A university-owned observatory near campus provides excellent viewing of the wide West Texas night skies.
Colleges and Majors
ARTS AND SCIENCES
www.as.ttu.edu | 806.742.3831
Anthropology | Biochemistry
Biology | Cell and Molecular Biology
Chemistry | Exercise and Sport Sciences
Geography | Geosciences | Health
Microbiology | Physics | Zoology
Pre-Professional Health Designations:
Pre-Dental | Pre-Medical Technology | Pre-Medicine
Pre-Nursing | Pre-Occupational Therapy
Pre-Optometry | Pre-Pharmacy | Pre-Physical Therapy
www.casnr.ttu.edu | 806.742.2808
Animal Science | Plant Biotechnology
www.honr.ttu.edu | 806.742.1828
Honors Arts and Letters (pre-health track)
www.hs.ttu.edu | 806.742.3031
If you are preparing for a career in health care, Pre-Professional Health advisors can provide resources to help you choose your major, complete prerequisites, prepare for entrance tests and submit applications. You can be admitted with a designation such as pre-med or pre-pharmacy without having to choose a specific major right away.