Choose Texas Tech
We have a wide range of academic programs for you to explore. Texas Tech is a place where great things are happening inside the classroom and out – where you can play as hard as you study. Whoever you want to become, from here, it’s possible.
To get a full overview of Texas Tech’s transfer admissions policies, take a look at our Transfer Admissions Guide.
1. $60 application fee or fee waiver.
2. Official transcripts (high school and/or college). Students must submit high school transcripts and ACT/SAT scores for acceptance if they have completed less than 12 hours after graduation.
3. Complete ApplyTexas application.
4. Students who have completed more than 12 hours after graduation will need to supply high school and college transcripts for advising purposes only.
5. International applicants have additional requirements. Call the International Cultural Center at 806.742.3667.
6. Every student attending Texas Tech for the first time must show proof of a meningitis vaccination.
If you present the required combination of transferable hours and GPA below, you are assured admission. GPA is cumulative for all transferable courses from all schools attended, and courses taken for grade replacement are used for GPA calculation only if the same course is repeated at the same institution where it was originally taken.
|Transferable Hours||GPA Requirements|
|12-23 hours||2.50 cumulative|
|24 or more hours||2.25 cumulative|
Some academic colleges and departments at Texas Tech only accept students who meet assured admission requirements. College entrance requirements are subject to change and are listed in the Texas Tech Undergraduate Catalog.
- College of Architecture (all majors) – 3.00
- Rawls College of Business (all majors) Min. 12 Hours – 2.75
- Whitacre College of Engineering (all majors) – Transfer students entering Fall 2013 or later must have 24 or more hours of transferable coursework and a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0. Regardless of the number of hours and the specific courses included in the transfer credits, external transfer students are initially accepted in the lower-division foundational curriculum of their degree program and must complete a minimum of 12 hours of Texas Tech coursework before application to the upper division. Eligibility for admission to the upper division is based exclusively on the cumulative GPA earned at Texas Tech. Transfer students with fewer than 24 hours of transferable credit will begin in pre-engineering.
- College of Human Sciences
- Community, family and addiction services – 2.50
- Human development and family studies – 2.50
- Interior design – 2.70
- Personal financial planning – 2.80
If you do not meet assured admission requirements but have at least a 2.00 cumulative GPA, an admissions committee will evaluate your potential based on other criteria:
- Academics – types of courses taken and pattern of progress, as well as coursework taken leading toward major
- Student-submitted essay – explanation of the decision to transfer to Texas Tech, reasons for past academic performance and plans to ensure future academic success
- Extracurricular activities/employment/Texas Tech affiliation – leadership and work experience, special talents or awards, other information relevant to the admission decision
Students with a cumulative GPA or transferable credit hours below requirements or who haven’t taken college coursework in the past two or more semesters are encouraged to explain circumstances that have impacted their past academic performance and to submit an essay.